Leader in Fire, Electrical & Safety Compliance Services

Speak with an expert

Q: What Is An RCD And What Do They Do?
Q: What Are The Types Of RCD's?
Q: Where does my work come from?
Q: How much can I earn?
Q: Is FCF Growing?
Q: What type of vehicle do I need to operate?
Q: How long does your recruitment on-boarding process take?
Q: As a franchise partner am I required to have a store?
Q: How much does a franchise cost?
Q: How long is training?
Q: What are the fees?
Q: What happens when I want to sell?
Q: Do I need to be an electrician?
Q: How are the territories sized?
Q: With Jacob wining the Nextgen Competition in USA 2016 as a franchisor under 35, are FCF going Global?
Q: What Is A Combination RCD?
Q: Why Does Every Building Need Two RCD's?
Q: What Are Portable Residual Current Devices?
Q: What Are Power Point Devices?
Q: How Often Should RCD Testing Occur?
Q: What RCD Testing Regulations Apply?
Q: What RCD Testing Regulations Apply?
Q: Why Are RCD's Important?
Q: Can A Building Be Sold If It Doesn't Have A RCD?
Q: Who Can Install RCD's?
Q: Where Can I Find Out More About RCD's?
Q: Is it necessary to get my Fire Extinguisher maintained?
Q: Is a Smoke Alarm compulsory in Residential Buildings?
Q: What is a Yearly Statement of Fire Safety?
Q: How frequently should I check my Fire Extinguisher?
Q: Who is allowed to service Fire Extinguishers?
Q: Required by Law
Q: Suited to Your Needs
Q: Correctly Located
Q: Fire Detection System & Occupant Warning System
Q: Smoke Alarms
Q: Fire Extinguishers
Q: Business Fire Safety Plan
Q: Have a Means of Escape and Clear Evacuation Route
Q: Be Sure to Follow Occupancy Limits for Buildings
Q: Maintain all Fire Safety Products Appropriately
Q: Be Sure There is an Evacuation Plan in Place
Q: Prepare and Implement Fire Safety Management Plans
Q: Fire Diagrams
Q: Portable and Wheeled Fire Extinguishers
Q: Fire Hose Reels
Q: Fire Blankets
Q: Exit and Emergency Lighting
Q: Egress Checks
Q: Fire Penetrations
Q: Fire Doors
Q: Fire Water Storage Tanks
Q: Fire Sprinklers
Q: Fire Pump Sets
Q: Fire Hydrants
Fire Equipment Servicing FAQs
Is it necessary to get my Fire Extinguisher maintained?
Your Fire Extinguisher should be serviced regularly so that it can operate properly when required during an emergency. Even when legislation does not demand regular maintenance, the Fire Protection Association of Australia (FPA Australia) advises that routine services should be performed to protect potential users.

Is a Smoke Alarm compulsory in Residential Buildings?
Yes. Under the Smoke Alarms Act, every leased, renovated and new building should have an operational Smoke Alarm.

What is a Yearly Statement of Fire Safety?
This statement is provided by building owners to confirm that vital fire safety practices have been adopted within their premises. Also, the document confirms that a suitably qualified individual has inspected the premises and verified that the safety levels are of the standard demanded by government legislation. The building owner's agent, or the building owner (as opposed to the fire contractor), has to sign the Yearly Statement of Fire Safety. Different states have legislation for the annual fire statement. The name various and some of the details differ however such as an Occupiers statement for QLD and an AFSS for NSW. To find out your current state regulations contact FCF.

How frequently should I check my Fire Extinguisher?
According to the recent Australian Standard AS1851-2012, and the AS1851-2005, every Fire Extinguisher should be tagged and examined on a biannual basis. Based on the extinguisher model, it might require an overhaul (recharge and pressure test) every year, or over longer intervals.

Who is allowed to service Fire Extinguishers?
At the moment, Tasmania and Queensland are the only two states that impose laws governing the businesses or individuals who service portable extinguishers. In Tasmania, the 2010 General Fire Regulations (clauses eight and seven) state that anyone who installs maintains or repairs fire safety equipment should own a permit obtained from the Tasmania Fire Service (TFS).

In Queensland, the QBCC (Queensland Construction and Building Commission) requires 'Inspect and Test' licenses under the category of 'Hose Reels and Portable Fire Equipment' for:

-The business (contractor's license)
-The business's nominee supervisor (nominee supervisor license)
-Engineers who undertake extinguisher maintenance for the business (occupational license)

Bear in mind that these rules only relate to the maintenance of fire safety equipment and systems in buildings. They are not applicable to fire safety equipment and systems in vessels or vehicles, or to buildings not included in Australian Building Code legislation.

In other territories and states, it is the owner of the Fire Extinguisher who is responsible for checking the qualifications of the person who services their equipment. To help with this, FPA Australia advises that technicians ought to hold the appropriate nationally acknowledged qualification, with suitable competency units. For servicing extinguishers, this is the Fire Protection Testing and Inspection Certificate II (or the older Asset Maintenance Fire Protection Equipment Certificate II). The competency units should relate to servicing Portable Extinguishers.

We Are Proud To Service 6500+ Clients

Latest News

What You Should Know About Wollongong School Fire Safety

Posted on 16 July 2019
Last November 2018, a school in the city of Wollongong was torn down by a massive fire. Thankfully, n...

Ways to Keep Your Workplace Fire Safe

Posted on 16 July 2019
Business owners and employers have a lot of duties and responsibilities on their hands. Providing a s...

Tasmania Smoke Alarm: Best Smoke Alarm Position

Posted on 16 July 2019
A house fire can cause harm and damage to your home as well as endanger your life and your family. Ne...
Read all
  • memberships

FCF Head Office

1/6 Victory East Street,
Urangan, Queensland 4655