When You Need a QBCC Licence
When you need the licence
In Queensland, individuals and companies must hold a QBCC licence to carry out:
1. Any building work valued over $3,300
2. Building work valued over $1,100 where it involves Hydraulic Services Design
3. Building work of any value where it involves:
- Plumbing and Drainage
- Gas Fitting
- Termite Management Chemical
- Fire Protection
- Completed Residential Building Inspection
- Building Design Low Rise, Medium Rise and Open
- Site Classification
- The value of building work is the reasonable cost to a consumer of having the work carried out by a licensed contractor on the basis that materials, labour and GST are included, regardless of who supplies the materials. This can sometimes be referred to as the 'market value'.
- A trust cannot obtain a QBCC licence. The trustee of the trust must apply for the licence.
- Registered architects are able to carry out building design work and perform building inspections on all types of buildings. To check if your architect is registered, visit www.boaq.qld.gov.au
The scope of work for each QBCC licence class outlines the range of building work for that class. The building work you do must be covered by your licence. For some work, you may need more than one licence class.
Fire Protection Licences
PI* Denotes the requirement to hold Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance. Note: for fire licences, this is only required when the licence class includes certification.
- Emergency Procedures / Emergency Fire Certificate
- Emergency Procedures Occupational
- Fire Detection, Alarm and Warning Systems PI*
- Fire Detection, Alarm and Warning Systems Occupational
- Fire Hydrants and Hose Reels PI*
- Fire Hydrants and Hose Reels Occupational
- Fire Pumps PI*
- Fire Pumps Occupational
- Fire Safety Professional
- Fire Safety Professional Occupational
- Passive Fire Protection Fire and Smoke Walls and Ceilings PI*
- Passive Fire Protection Fire and Smoke Walls and Ceilings Occupational
- Passive Fire Protection Fire collars, Penetrations and Joint Sealing PI*
- Passive Fire Protection Fire collars, Penetrations and Joint Sealing Occupational
- Passive Fire Protection Fire Doors and Shutters PI*
- Passive Fire Protection Fire Doors and Shutters Occupational
- Portable Fire Equipment and Hose Reels (Hose Reels Down Stream of Stop Cock ONLY) PI*
- Portable Fire Equipment and Hose Reels (Hose Reels Down Stream of Stop Cock ONLY) Occupational
- QBCC lighting Licence / Emergency Lighting Occupational
- Special Hazard Suppression System PI*
- Special Hazard Suppression System Occupational
- Sprinkler and Suppression Systems (Reticulated Water Based) PI*
- Emergency Lighting Licence PI*
- Sprinkler and Suppression Systems (Reticulated Water Based) Occupational
Do employees need a licence?If you are overseeing work that involves plumbing and drainage, gas fitting, pest control or fire protection, you need a QBCC licence regardless of the value of the work.
If you are an employee, you don't need a licence unless you become responsible for:
- Overseeing and directing the building work.
- Ensuring the work is of a competent standard, i.e. free of defects.
- Ensuring the work complies with the plans and specifications.
A company that applies for a Licence must nominate an individual to act as their "nominee". The nominee must be an employee, director or secretary of the company, and must hold an identical class licence to the class that the company is seeking (both at the time of application for the company's Licence and for the duration of time that the company holds the Licence). If a nominee resigns, ceases to hold their personal licence for any reason, or ceases to be an employee, secretary or director of the company, then a replacement nominee must be found and the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) must be notified within 14 days.FCF is happy to announce that our CEO Jacob Foster has acquired his QBCC licence. The team at FCF helps businesses all over Australia. We are a one-stop-shop for all your fire protection services needs. FCF offers a range of fire protection equipment such as commercial fire alarm systems, fire sprinklers, fire detection systems, fire extinguishers, online fire safety training courses, hydrant testing, RCD testing, electrical works and many more. Visit us today for a free quote.