Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher
A Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher is the most common type used in Australia. It is also known as a DCP, BE, or ABE fire extinguisher. To determine if a fire extinguisher is a dry chemical type, one simply needs to look for the white band that runs around the tank.
One can also check the description sign to ensure they have a dry chemical fire extinguisher. With this information, people will know more about these extinguishers and how they work so they can be used safely.
What Types of Fire Does A Dry Chemical Extinguisher Work For?
When attempting to put out a fire, it is crucial to use the appropriate extinguisher for the job. The dry chemical fire extinguishers are able to put out fires caused by oil, textiles, paper, liquid and electrical issues. This is the perfect fire extinguisher to have on hand to take care of variety of fires safely and efficiently. There are two main types of Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher models:
- ABE Type handles classes A, B, and E. This rating of fire extinguisher ensures a variety of fires can be put out including, paper, cardboard, wood, people, flammable liquids, petrol, diesel, computers and office equipment.
- BE Type handles fire classes B, E, and F and fights flammable liquids, petrol, diesel, electrical, office equipment, and cooking oil fires.
When using a dry chemical extinguisher to put out a flammable gas fire, it is important to be careful in approaching the fire since explosions can occur. Never use a fire extinguisher if in doubt of the type or ability to properly use it to put off flames.
How Does A Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Work?
Each type of extinguisher works attempting to remove one of the elements that are needed for fire to flourish. Most ABE extinguishers are filled with monoammonium phosphate which has the ability to flow easily and melt so it continues to cover the flames as it moves over the fire. BE powder does not melt so it is ineffective against class A fires.
What Are The Benefits of Using a Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher?
- They are powerful and quickly works to extinguish fires.
- They are versatile and can be used on many types of fires.
- They are compact and do not take up a lot of space.
- They are less expensive than some types of extinguishers.
- They are safer than some types and can be used on electrical fires.
What is the Color of Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher?
The tanks are generally red in color and feature a white band around the tank.
How Do You Use This Extinguisher?
Always remember PASS: Pull, Aim, Squeeze the lever, and Sweep side to side.
Do these Extinguishers Need to be Maintained?
These extinguishers need to be inspected once a month or more often and should be serviced on a regular basis.
|Tags: Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher Drychem Extinguisher|